14 Questions to Ask a Moving Company Before You Hire Them
In today’s world, you need to be diligent when choosing a service provider. There are far too many scam artists and rogue movers that try to appear to be legitimate companies. Before you choose your moving company, it is important to dig deep into the company’s history and website to ensure they have a reliable team. You want to make sure that not only is their website is a true representation of the company’s resources and their abilities, but that they have a past of satisfied customers and successful reviews.
If you want to be an educated consumer, then you must be prepared to ask questions. The quality and thoroughness of the response you get will help you choose the right moving company. You can even go further by focusing these questions directly to topics like their premises, equipment, licensing and insurance coverage. Here are 14 questions that you should ask a moving company before you entrust your possessions to them.
- How long have you been in business?
- Where is your physical location?
- Can I inspect your premises/ warehouse?
- Are you a member of the Canadian Association of Movers and/or affiliated with a national van line?
- Can you provide references and what is your BBB rating?
- Will the moving service be done with your own trucks and personnel or will it be subcontracted outside your own system?
- What kind of licensing, insurance, and workers’ compensation coverage do you have in place?
- Will a representative from your company come to my home to view what needs to be moved so they can prepare an accurate cost estimate?
- What guarantees do you offer in terms of final price?
- How is the furniture and my premises protected during the moving process?
- On a long distance move, how is my delivery date calculated?
- Am I entitled to any compensation if you are late in delivering my furniture?
- If any of my furniture/contents are missing or damaged, how is the claim handled and how long will it take to be settled?
- On a long distance move, who will provide required services at destination i.e. unloading, unpacking, or appliance reconnection?
Taking the time to ask the basic questions listed above will be time well spent. Think of it like a job interview for the prospective moving company, and their responses help to decide if they get your business. For more information on how to find the best moving company or to get your free moving estimate, contact us at Premiere Van Lines today!