11 Tips For Making Your Move Green & Eco Friendly
There are many things you can do to make your move eco friendly. Here are some tips to help:
1. Moving is a great time to go through your home and purge. Giving away items or donating them is a great way to avoid furniture going to landfill.
2. Eat up all the perishable food in your cupboards, fridge, and freezer before the move. Consider giving some to family and friends if this is not possible. For short distance moves (under an hour) the freezer can be loaded last on the moving truck and be the first item off at your new home. As food is a perishable, it is not covered under the mover’s liability coverage, it is moved at your own risk.
3. If possible, try not to move on the same day that your new home closes. There may be a delay in closing and the moving truck will be sitting idle, increasing fuel emissions. If you hired a professional mover, it may cost extra for waiting time.
4. Professional moving companies use packing materials that are made from recycled materials and they are 100% recyclable after the move. You can ask your mover for gently used cartons at a reduced price.
5. Ask your mover to provide wardrobes for your hanging clothes and coats. Clothing is hung on steel bars in the wardrobe carton which means you save on laundering and electricity.
6. Although they are made from plastic, they are re-usable. Pack items for your move in the bins then re-use them for out of season storage in the basement or garage. You will get many years use from a single bin which helps offset the carbon footprint for manufacturing it.
Packing Household Items
7. Use your towels and dishtowels to wrap and pack non–breakable items to save on the number of boxes you need. Blankets are also great for padding larger items.
8. We recommend you purchase packing paper from the movers to pack your dishes and fragile items. It is a clean newsprint and 100% recyclable.
9. Consider having the moving company pack your shipment or just the breakables. They are faster and will use less cartons than the average homeowner.
Eco Friendly Movers
10. A professional, eco friendly mover like Premiere Van Lines will use floor runners to protect your floors and carpeting which are cleaned on a regular basis. They also use flattened cardboard in areas that floor runners are not appropriate. Large, padded furniture blankets are used to wrap your furniture which are cleaned on a regular basis. Once they are no longer useable to wrap furniture, they are used to wrap garden tools and brooms.
Dangerous Goods in Your Home
11. Moving companies are not allowed by law to transport flammable, combustible, or corrosive items. This includes paint, solvents, laundry detergents (unless they are 100% environmentally friendly), bleach, propane tanks, household cleaning items (unless they are 100% environmentally friendly) and gas cans. Ask your moving company for a complete list and please dispose of any unwanted dangerous goods at a designated facility in your area.
To request a dangerous goods pamphlet or to get a quote on your move, contact Premiere Van Lines at 1-877-671-6683.