8 Ways To Help Your Child Adjust To A New School
Whether you are moving long distance for a new job or moving across town which requires your children to relocate to a new school district, the following tips will help your children adapt quickly to their new school:
- Keeping a positive attitude will help your children. They will be both excited and anxious and will need to be reassured that everything is going to be ok. Talk to them about their fears; help them understand that it is normal to feel this way.
- Let them know you will be there for them every step of the way. Help your older children select their classes and keep them talking. It is much harder on older children to start a new school and make new friends.
- Encourage your children to sign up and participate in school activities. This is a great way for them to meet new people at their school, start to establish friendships and adjust quicker to the new school environment.
- Moving is stressful. Getting enough sleep is good for the whole family and especially children. If you have moved to a new time zone start the new sleep routine as soon as possible as this will give them time to adjust before school starts.
- Ask the school if your family can take a tour before school starts to familiarize the children with the new school layout. Walk to the school using the route they will take, point out their home room, the gym and where the washrooms and cafeteria are. This will help your children be prepared mentally for the first day of school.
- Find out what books and supplies are required ahead of time so your children will be prepared and feel more confident. Arriving at school and finding out they do not have the appropriate supplies will make them stand out as the “new kid” at school.
- Have everything ready the night before such as lunches and backpacks. Help your children pick out their clothes as this will help them feel more prepared and less anxious. Wake them up early so they can have a good breakfast and if they are younger children, walk them to school. Let them know you will be waiting for them at the end of the day to walk them home.
- Finally, have a special treat planned to celebrate their first day. Make their favourite dinner or order in, take them to playground or to a movie; whatever they love to do!
For more information or to get a quote on your long distance move or same city move contact Premiere Van Lines at 1-877-671-6683.