Most people moving from Edmonton (or other cities in Canada) have a lot of their hard-earned money invested in clothing. Paying for dry cleaning or the sheer work of washing and ironing all your clothes is something that no one wants to face after a move.
The worst thing you can do is pack your clothes into plastic garbage bags; this will cause wrinkling and dampness. The best way to avoid this is to move with a professional moving company and have them prepare your clothing for the move. Professional moving companies use heavy-duty wardrobe containers for your hanging clothing. These specially designed cartons have strong hanging bars that will accommodate your dresses, suits, or coats, so your clothing is ready to wear when it arrives at your new home.
After the move, the wardrobe containers are ideal for out-of-season storage. If you are moving locally, renting wardrobe containers from the moving company may be possible.
If you are self-packing for a move, here are tips on how to pack clothing:
- Use clean, dry plastic bins with lids for folded clothing items
- Wash clothes before packing
- Roll your sweaters and t-shirts as this will lessen wrinkles
- Pack heavy clothing on the bottom of the carton and lighter clothing on top
- Leave a dryer sheet in the bin or carton to keep clothes smelling fresh
- Purchase wardrobe containers from the mover for hanging clothing from closets
- Stuff packing paper into shoes to retain their shape and wrap up in more packing paper to keep shoes from getting scuffed
- Pack wrapped shoes and handbags in 2 cubic foot sized cartons
For more moving tips or to purchase wardrobe cartons, call Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.