There are so many details to look after when you are moving. Staying organized is the key to a good move. This moving timeline will help you plan out your move and stay organized.
4 Weeks Before Moving:
- Tour your house, including the attic, garage, and storage shed, to decide which items should be sold, discarded, or donated to charity.
- Contact moving companies to request an accurate estimate of your moving charges.
- Make your travel reservations for the trip – airline, hotel, rental car.
- Arrange for transfer of records. i.e., school, medical, etc.
- Start packing out of season items
3 Weeks Before Moving
- Arrange for transportation of pets, including kennels. Check with your veterinarian.
- Return library books, DVD rentals, and other borrowed items.
- Dispose of flammables – paint, matches, pressure cans, cleaning fluids, etc.
- Notify the post office, mail order accounts, etc., of your pending change of address.
- Return library books and movie rentals
2 Weeks Before Moving
- Draw up a floor plan of your new home and indicate furniture placement. It makes moving in twice as easy.
- Set a date with a reliable service firm to prepare your appliances – washer, dryer, etc. for moving. Check with your moving company for their recommendation.
- Start the main packing if you have planned to do some or all of it yourself. Pack room by room and ask your moving company for a packing tips brochure.
- Arrange a babysitter for moving day.
- Discontinue utilities, delivery services, etc.
1 Week Before Moving
- Prepare for the car or plane trip. Finish packing all suitcases and essentials. Plan to carry valuable documents, currency, and jewelry with you.
- Drain water from garden hoses and oil/fuel from the lawn mower and other machinery.
- Defrost and wipe dry fridge and freezer. Don’t overlook the defrost water pan.
- Take down curtain rods, shelves – any items attached to walls.
- Dismantle large power tools such as lathes, grinders, etc.
- Confirm that you have important papers, keys, medications and plane tickets, and appropriate clothing with you for your trip.
- Have a workspace available for the packers. Point out: (a) fragile, valuable items; (b) items you will be taking with you; (c) anything to be left for new owners.
- If you are staying in your home on packing night, ask the mover to leave you some boxes for the bed linens, towels, coffee maker, kettle, etc.
Moving Day (Out)
- Plan to stay home until the moving van has left.
- Tour house with van operator during inventory, sign the Bill of Lading, confirm new address and delivery date. Be sure to check destination contact phone numbers.
- Do a final check for overlooked items. Make sure windows and doors are locked, utilities are discontinued or turned off, keys are transferred, and lights are out.
- Arrange to have your payment for moving services ready. Most reliable and professional movers accept cash, bank draft, certified cheque, Visa, and MC.
Moving Day (In)
- If possible, be at your new home a day ahead of the moving company to verify utilities are connected, and the floor plan is correct.
- On the day of the move, check off the items as they are unloaded using the mover’s inventory.
- Make arrangements for the installation of appliances.
- Confirm unpacking requirements with the mover if you purchased packing services.
Contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683 for more moving tips or to arrange a no-cost moving estimate.