No matter how much time you have to prepare for a move, the move-in at the new location can be hectic. Having a plan will help keep your new home clean and organized as you settle in.
- Have a floor plan before your move-in day, so you know what furniture will go into each room. As you are packing, label the cartons to what room they will be going into at your new home.
- Have the movers put the boxes against a wall in each room to cut down on the box clutter.
- For boxes going to the basement or garage, ask the movers to stack the boxes against a wall to keep a clear walking area.
- Unpack the cartons you will need on move-in day, like sheets, towels, toiletries, everyday dishes, the coffee maker and kettle, cleaning supplies, and any dry food items you need. Then take a break and spend some family time relaxing on your first night and getting acclimatized to your new neighbourhood.
- Start unpacking the everyday items first, and stack the other cartons against a wall. This will help keep a clear path and make it more manageable and organized.
- Tackle one room at a time, starting with the living room and bedrooms. Leave the basement and garage to last.
Breaking Down Boxes
- As you unpack each room, break down the cardboard boxes and bundle them together. Stack plastic bins and take them out to the garage or basement until recycling day. This will keep each room tidy and uncluttered. Doing this task room by room will make it much easier than doing it all at once.
For more moving tips, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.