Moving is a stressful time and even more so for an elderly retiree or senior who has lived in the same home for many years.
To make moving easier, keep them involved in the planning and decision-making. Please plan to spend extra time listening to their worries and concerns. If time is an issue, consider hiring a company that prepares seniors for a move.
Getting Ready for the Move
Once the sorting is done, contact a professional mover to get a moving quote including packing and unpacking service. Moving takes a physical toll so having the movers pack and unpack will alleviate the physical stress.
- Try to keep them to the same routine, as this will cause less stress
- If downsizing, let them pick the furniture and belongings they would like to take. If new furniture is needed, take them shopping so they can choose the new pieces of furniture.
- Involve them in planning the new setup. If possible, get the measurements and pictures ahead of time so you can help them plan what items to move.
- Start one room at a time sorting through possessions and furniture. Make a list and tag the items with moving, give to family, sell, donate.
Most of all, stay positive and keep reinforcing the benefits they will enjoy moving to a new place (less yard work, less snow shovelling, less housework).
At the New Location
Your retiree or elderly senior will need lots of TLC after the move. Have family and friends there on move day to set up their new home quickly so they do not feel overwhelmed and anxious.
- Try to make their new home look like their old one. Arrange furniture and pictures as close as possible as this will give them a sense of familiarity and home.
- In most cases, they are moving to a place where they will not know anyone. Plan to spend time with them after the move to help them to get acclimated to their new area.
- If going to church was something they enjoyed at the old location, take them to a church at their new location as well as a grocery store and drug store. If they love to walk, take them for walks in the new area.
Whatever they enjoy doing; golfing, crafting, swimming, etc. look for courses or associations they can join. Computer savvy seniors can research their interests ahead of time, this will help them get excited about the move.
For more information or to get a no-obligation move quote, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 877-671-6683.