It takes particular skill to safely move large appliances like a washing machine, dryer, or fridge. Damage to the device, walls, and floors are all possible. This is why so many people hire professional movers who have the proper equipment and expertise in moving appliances.
If you are moving the appliances yourself, here are some tips for moving them safely:
- Tape the electrical cord to the side of the fridge, or wrap tightly and tape
- Remove shelves
- Clean the inside and leave it open for 24 hours to dry properly
- Contact a service technician if you have an ice maker or water dispenser
- On the day of the move tape the doors closed or use mover’s straps
- Remove the racks from the oven
- Remove or tape all knobs
- Remove surface grates if a gas stove
- Have a technician disconnect the gas line if necessary
- Turn off water faucets and disconnect drain hoses
- Make sure it is completely dry inside, in the hoses and drains
- Wrap connector end of hoses and store them inside the appliance
- Secure washer tub per manufacturer’s instructions
- Disconnect the electrical cord, wrap it tightly and tape it to avoid knotting
- If you are moving a gas dryer, call your utility company for gas safety procedures
To move appliances safely we recommend the following equipment:
This is a metal cart shaped like the letter “L” with handles at the top and a flat plate at the bottom. It has tires which make it easier to move. Ensure the dolly has a weight capacity that is adequate for your appliances.
These are quilted, heavy-duty protective blankets specifically made for moving.
Ropes may damage the surface of the appliances so it makes sense to rent proper moving straps that won’t damage or rub off on your appliances.
This is an easy way to move appliances across the floors. Never move appliances across a floor without something underneath to protect the floors as the wheel on the appliances are usually metal and can dig into the floors.
For more information or to arrange a moving quote, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.