Leaving Your Family & Friends? Tips For Handling A Long Distance Move
Moving to a new city can be exciting and somewhat daunting. It is normal to feel some or all these feelings. The following tips can help ease some of the stress of moving to a new city:
Research information about your new city.
- Research everything important to you ahead of time, like schools, parks, sports facilities, restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, etc. This will give you a sense of what resources are available, and you can start to plan your arrival.
- If you go on a pre-move house hunting trip, be a tourist and spend time exploring your new city.
Meeting new friends and neighbours.
- Once you have moved in, introduce yourselves to your new neighbours on either side as they will be a good source of information about your new city.
- If you have children in school, meeting people may be easier as you can meet other parents at school events.
- If you have a dog, research the nearest dog park; this is a great way to meet new people.
- Volunteering is another way to meet people or attend a local church.
- If you have children register them for lessons, sports, or hobbies, they will meet new friends faster.
- Starting a new job? Your new workplace is a good place to meet people.
- Speaking of moves, be sure to unpack your boxes and get your favorite items out, as this will give you a sense of home and belonging.
- Remember that moving is very tiring and you will need to give yourself and your family time to unwind from the long-distance move.
- Moving to a new city can open opportunities you never thought about before. Try new restaurants, start a new hobby, or become active in a cause you care about; they are all ways to grow personally and help you settle in quicker.
Stay in touch with old friends and neighbours.
They are an important part of your life, and keeping in touch will help you adjust. Staying in touch is much easier now with email, text, or social media. This is important for your children as the transition of moving can be hard on them.
Post your adventures on social media so your friends and family can be part of your new journey. Most of all, know that it can take 6-12 months for a new city or town to feel like home.
For more information or to arrange a moving quote, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.