Most people underestimate the number of boxes they will need for their move. On average, a 1,500 sq. ft home will take between 40-60 boxes. If you never throw anything out, add another 25%.
Free boxes are hard to find, so most people purchase packing supplies from their moving company, a moving supplies depot, or a big box store. Pack heavy items in smaller boxes and lighter items in bigger boxes. Why? A box should not weigh more than 25-27 kilos (50-60 lbs.) to lift safely without injury.
Here are general move planning guidelines for packing up your home:
Kitchen & Dining Room
- Canned and boxed food, small appliances – 2 cubic foot box
- Larger appliances like a toaster oven, food processor, pots n pans – 4 cubic foot box
- Dishes, glassware, stemware – use strong, reinforced carboard cartons to manage the weight or purchase china cartons from your mover, which is tri- walled for extra strength
Living Room & Office
- Books, CDs, DVDs, albums, knick-knacks – 2 cubic foot cartons
- Files, magazines – 2 cubic foot cartons
- Computers, laptops, printers – 2 and 4 cubic foot cartons or the original purchase cartons
- Pictures, prints, mirrors – wrap in paper first, then bubble wrap. Purchase mirror cartons from your mover, which are available in small and large sizes
- Lampshades, throw pillows, throws – 4 cubic foot cartons
- TVs – pack in the original purchase carton if possible. If not, purchase a TV carton from your mover, which is size adjustable
- Toiletries – 2 cubic foot carton
- Shower curtain, towels, bathmats – 4 or 5 cubic foot cartons
- Linens/bed pillows – 4, 5, or 6 cubic foot cartons
- Clothing – plastic totes, 4 or 5 cubic foot cartons, or purchase wardrobe containers so you can hang your clothes directly from the wardrobe container to your closet
- Vacuum, roll the rug up, wrap the tape around the middle section, and at each end
Totes are great for items you will not need right away, like out-of-season footwear, clothing, or seasonal decorations. Pack heavier items in solid and sturdy totes and always tape the lids closed.
Finally, we always recommend purchasing good packing tape and Kraft packing paper. This thicker newsprint material has no black ink, so you will not need to wash the dishes after the move. To purchase packing supplies or to get a free quote on your move, contact Premiere Van Lines at 1-877-671-6683.