Moving across Canada requires careful planning. This planning can make the difference between a good move and a not so good move. Here are some essential tips for how to prepare for a cross-country move:
At least a couple of months before you plan to move, begin your research to choose a professional moving company. Ask for a referral from family, friends, co-workers, realtors, and others you trust or:
- Use the internet to research companies who specialize in moving across Canada. Visit their websites, and check their Better Business Bureau and Google ratings.
- Be wary of a company with only a cell phone and no physical business listed. This is a red flag for a rogue mover.
- Choose a company with a branch or affiliate in your destination city, this will make settling in easier.
- Choose a mover who belongs to the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM). Only credible, professional movers can belong. Contact CAM to ensure they are a member in good standing.
- Ensure the mover has a physical address. Google it to ensure it is not an apartment building or a building with no signs or trucks.
- Once you have narrowed down your selection, get in the car and drive by the mover’s address. You are entrusting everything you own to this mover; it is worth taking the time to drive by their facility. You should see a sign with their name on it, trucks, and a warehouse. Rogue operators have no trucks or warehouses.
Obtain a moving quote
Professional movers calculate the cost of a long-distance based on the total weight of the items being shipped and the distance involved.
A professional mover will send out a moving consultant to look at the items being moved so they can determine an estimated weight.
They will also discuss additional services like packing or partial packing, vehicle shipping, and your preferred moving dates. Everything will be put in writing to you along with any guarantees.
Compare moving quotes
The estimated weight should be similar in all the quotes. If one company has a much lower weight, ask them for their item-by-item inventory list. Ask for a detailed, written estimate itemizing all charges.
Be suspicious of a low price or a request for a large deposit because this is a sign of a rogue mover.
For more information on how to prepare for a cross-country move or a free moving quote, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.