You may find yourself in need of a place to store furniture and other belongings for a few days, weeks, months, or even years.
Premiere Van Lines has clean, modern, secure, government-approved warehouses across Canada. Our state-of-the-art facilities will ensure that your valued belongings are carefully stored so that they remain in pristine condition. All our warehouses are protected with alarm systems and are pest controlled.
Full-time warehouse personnel will carefully wrap your possessions in clean storage pads before placing them in wooden storage vaults. They will ensure your upholstered furniture is shrink-wrapped and stored on special racks, and the area rugs are rolled up and wrapped. To ensure they are kept sanitary and clean, all mattresses and foundations are encased in manufacture-grade mattress bags.
Here are tips that will help you prepare your belongings for storage:
- If you are doing some or all your packing, mark the contents of each carton either in marker or tape a printed sheet securely to the front of the carton.
- When packing linens or clothes, wash them first, line the bottom of a carton with clean packing paper, pack clothing, place more packing paper at the top of the carton, and tape the box shut. Do not pack clothes or linens in plastic as this can cause condensation and mold.
- If your belongings may be in storage for more than a season, pack the next season’s items together. For example, if you are moving in the late spring and know that you will not be taking delivery until the fall or winter, put your winter coats, boots, etc., together. You may need to access your storage unit to retrieve these items.
- We recommend that you number these cartons or have your mover inventory them together so that the warehouse personnel can put all these cartons together in a storage vault to make it easier to retrieve them if necessary.
- Be careful not to pack any inadmissible items in any of your cartons (dangerous or explosive, or corrosive goods). Your moving consultant can provide you with this type of goods list.
- Do not pack perishable food in your shipment.
- Do not pack jewelry, cash, documents like insurance certificates, stock certificates, etc.
- If you are moving into temporary accommodations, have your Premiere mover prepare two separate sets of inventories for the items going into storage and those that will be delivered to your temporary home.
- If you have any extremely valuable items (antiques, original paintings, etc.), have appraisals done before the move and take photos.
- Discuss insurance coverage with your mover and your homeowner’s insurance broker to make sure you have proper coverage while your possessions are in storage.
When putting your belongings into storage, the most important thing to consider is choosing a professional, reputable moving company like Premiere Van Lines that has the proper storage facilities to keep your possessions safe.
For more information about moving and storage options, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.