You may need a place to store furniture and other belongings for a few days, weeks, months, or years. Here are some tips that will help you when preparing your belongings for short or long-term storage:
- If you are doing some or all your packing, mark the contents of each carton in marker or tape a printed sheet to the front of the carton.
- When packing linens or clothes, wash them first, then line the bottom of a carton with clean packing paper. Pack clothing, place more packing paper at the top of the carton, and tape the box shut. Do not pack clothes or linens in plastic, which can cause condensation and mold.
- If your belongings will be in storage for more than a season, pack the next season’s items together. For example, if you are moving in the winter and know that you will not be taking delivery until the spring or summer, put your winter coats, boots, etc., together.
- We recommend that you number these cartons or have your mover inventory them together. This way, the warehouse personnel will know to put them together in a storage vault to make it easier to access them.
- Do not pack any inadmissible items in your cartons (dangerous, explosives, or corrosive goods). Your moving company will provide you with a list of this type of goods.
- Do not pack perishable food in your shipment.
- Do not pack jewellery, cash, insurance certificates, stock certificates etc.
- If you are moving into temporary accommodations, have your mover prepare two sets of inventories. One for the items going into storage and another for your temporary home.
- If you have any extremely valuable items (antiques, original paintings, collections), have appraisals done before the move and take photos.
- Be sure to discuss insurance coverage with your mover and homeowner’s insurance broker to ensure coverage while your possessions are in storage.
Choosing a Mover
The most important thing to consider when storing your belongings as part of a move is choosing a professional, reputable moving company with the proper storage facilities to keep your possessions safe.
For more information about preparing your belongings for short & long-term storage, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.