Tips For Planning A Move Timeline
Using a move planner can help reduce the level of stress and keep things on track. There are so many decisions to be made and tasks to be done; it can be overwhelming for some people.
Contact a professional moving company like Premiere six to eight weeks in advance of your preferred moving date. This will give you time to decide what items you want to move, sell, donate, or discard. If you are moving long-distance, the charges are based on the weight of your shipment, so doing this ahead of time will save you money.
A professional mover will coordinate a moving schedule to ensure the “move out and move in” goes smoothly. One useful tip is not to plan on moving into your new home on closing day. There can be unexpected delays with the closing, resulting in extra costs if the mover cannot unload your shipment.
You can choose to have the mover do a partial or complete pack of all your possessions. If you decide to do your own packing, the moving company can provide you with professional packing materials at a reasonable cost and a step-by-step packing guide.
Ask your mover for a countdown move planner to help you stay organized. Knowing what must be done and when will make a move easier. Some of the items a move planner reminds you to do are:
- Disconnection of utilities/final readings for billing purposes
- Connection of utilities at the new home
- Cancel regular home services (newspaper, lawn, pool, or other maintenance)
- Mail re-direct through a post office (in person or online)
- Notify banks, insurance companies about the move
- Arrange for home insurance for new home
- Book air or train travel (if not driving)
- Make hotel accommodations (if needed)
- School records
- Medical and dental records
- Veterinarian records
For more information or request a complete move planning guide, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.