Online shopping has become the norm, and this works well for products. When it comes to buying certain services, it should be part of the process. Moving is one of those services.
- An online search for movers will likely bring up hundreds of choices; we recommend going to the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) website first to use their “find a reputable mover” tool. This way you will be eliminating scam artists posing as movers.
- Choose 2-3 moving companies in your area who are members of CAM, since they are required to uphold a professional code of conduct.
- Next, request a free, no-obligation in-home estimate from the moving companies you have selected. This is the only way to get an accurate price or any kind of guarantee for your move. If a company refuses to send a moving representative to your home, this is a red flag that they are not the kind of company you want to entrust with your belongings.
- Professional movers like Premiere Van Lines have highly trained experienced moving consultants, who take the time to do a comprehensive in-home estimate by detailing the items that are to be moved, and any additional services you may require. The consultant will provide you with practical advice and options that meet your needs and your budget.
- An in-home estimate usually takes an hour as it is a systematic process. The consultant will go room to room to record each item that is to be moved and record details of any items not being moved. If your home has a difficult entrance for a tractor-trailer moving van, they will note this as well.
- As part of the consultation process, the representative will discuss additional services with you, including professional packing service. If you decide to do some or all the packing, they will provide you with tips on how to pack so your items arrive safely at your new home.
- The moving consultant will give you a copy of the item-by-item survey prepared in your home. The total weight of your shipment will be calculated using this form. Long-distance moves are priced on a combination of the weight of the shipment and the distance to your new home.
- All this information will be used to provide you with a detailed cost estimate. Every service will be priced out separately, including taxes. You will know exactly how the price was determined so there will be no unpleasant surprises at the time of delivery.
When comparing in-home estimates, each one should be as detailed as possible. The weight used to calculate the price should be the same or very close. If one quote has a significantly lower weight question the moving company as to how they arrived at that figure since each company will have seen the same items to be moved.
Getting an in-home estimate is a critical step to have a stress free move. For more information or to request a free estimate, contact Premiere Van Lines at 1-877-671-6683.