Inflation is impacting the cost of moving and people are looking for ways to save money on their move.
Firstly, diesel fuel prices are higher than regular fuel. This is having a significant impact on transportation, and moving companies as most of their fleets are diesel.
Moving companies charge a revolving fuel surcharge that helps to cover some of the increase in shipping costs. This percentage will go up and down depending on the cost of fuel. The fuel surcharge is a percentage of the transportation costs and will be shown separately on your moving quote.
Six Ways to Save Money
On a long-distance move, the transportation charges are based on the weight of your shipment. Here are six ways to save money on your long-distance move:
- Firstly, go through your home and see what furniture will fit in your new home.
- Like to read? Books can add lots of weight to your shipment. Go through your books and see what can be sold or donated.
- Items like building materials and concrete planters will add weight to your shipment. Ask yourself if you need them at your new home and if will they fit.
- Go through all the closets in your home and see what clothing, linens, and footwear you want to keep and what can be sold or donated.
- Basements and garages are usually filled with items people haven’t used for a long time. Sort through the articles and boxes to determine what you need and what can be sold or donated.
- Look at the items stored in the shed. Decide what to keep and what to sell or donate.
In conclusion, by purging your home, you can sell items and use the money for new pieces for your home, help local charities by donating, and save on the cost of your move.
For more ways to save money on your move and get a quote, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683.