Tips To Prepare Your New Home Before Moving In
The ideal time to have your new home painted, renovated and cleaned is before any furniture or boxes arrive. Once furniture is in place, it can be challenging to move everything around.
The best time to do renos is when the house in empty as there will be dust everywhere. If the renos are extensive, consider bridge financing so you can purchase your new home before your current home closes. This will give you time to have the renovations completed before the home movers arrive with your furniture.
If there is only enough time to paint a few rooms before the move in, focus on the bedrooms as they are the first rooms to be set up. It is not ideal to move heavy dressers and beds that may need to be dismantled out from the walls after the move.
The best time to clean your new home is before the furniture arrives so there is nothing in the way and every surface can be cleaned and sanitized.
- Wipe down walls & ceilings
- Clean all light fixtures
- Wipe down baseboards
- Clean windows, sills and blinds
- Wipe down doors and handles
- Clean appliances and microwave
- Clean cupboards, drawers, shelves
- Clean and sanitize counters, faucets and sinks
- Clean and sanitize toilets, tubs, and showers
- Clean washer & dryer inside and out - run a wash cycle with water and a bit of bleach
- Change furnace filter
- Vacuum floors and carpets
- Wash floors
- Shampoo carpets
For more home moving tips or to get a moving quote, contact Premiere Van Lines at 1-877-671-6683.