This blog will help you understand a moving estimate. Not all movers are the same. Credible movers will carry out your move in a professional manner; rogue movers will try and scam you out of your money. Getting an estimate from a qualified, professional mover is essential.
Ask your family, friends, and realtor for referrals. Another great option is to call the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) or go to their website for a list of professional movers in your area who are members of the association. CAM pre-qualifies all members who must abide by a code of conduct. You can also check the Alert section of their website for a list of know rogue movers.
In Home Survey
A professional mover will send a consultant to your home. The consultant will go through your house to calculate the estimated weight of what you are moving. From there, they will put together a moving estimate. They will also discuss any special requirements you may have and will go over cargo protection coverage.
Local moves are based on an hourly rate, and long-distance moves are based on the weight of your shipment and the distance from your current home to your new home. An estimated shipment weight is crucial in putting together an accurate estimate.
A moving quote should:
- Be in writing.
- Include the estimated weight of your shipment.
- Include the transportation charges and fuel surcharge for a long-distance move. And costs for a long carry, an elevator, or a shuttle service (if one or both of your addresses are inaccessible by a moving truck) if applicable.
- Include the estimated hours for a local move and the hourly rate. It should also have the number of men/women required to complete the move.
- Packing and unpacking charges if the mover is doing this for you.
- The cost for full replacement cargo protection.
- A detailed breakdown of extra accessorial services for shipping a vehicle, housecleaning, appliance servicing, etc.
- Confirmation of the pickup and delivery schedule.
- Any guarantees the mover is offering.
For more information or to get a moving estimate, contact Premiere Van Lines toll-free at 1-877-671-6683. Premiere are members of Atlas Van Lines and the Canadian Association of Movers.